Across the street is Tooele High School, which has operated in this location since 1913. The mascot is a White Buffalo. Prior to building a dedicated high school building, classes were taught in a building on the corner of Main and Vine streets that also housed other educational functions. In 1913, both high school and junior high classes were taught in the high school building. The building of the smelter in 1908 caused a population boom in Tooele. One cannot help but wonder if the building of the smelter provided the additional students and funds in the city to build a separate high school building.
Another large population occurred in Tooele when the Tooele Army Depot opened. The huge influx of people working at the Tooele Army Depot in World War II increased the number of junior high students and the city decided it needed a building dedicated to junior high school classes. The new building opened in 1944. Because of the importance of the depot, the federal government financed 100% of the building and outfitting of the Junior High. The building was replaced in 1964 by another building west of the high school building.
The number of high school students also continued to grow in the city. This was in part because of population growth, and also because more people began to attend high school. A new high school building was constructed in 1955 that replaced the building from 1913.
Tooele High School is a vital part of the community today. Students often do service around the city at museums and parks. The white T on the mountain has been kept up by the high school for many years.