The Catholic Church has been functioning in various forms in Tooele County since the 1860s. In the mid-19th century, priests would visit the mining camps to minister. So many of the smelter workers practiced Catholicism that a regular mass began to be held in Tooele in 1910. The same year, St. Marguerite’s Parish Church was built on Utah Avenue, which is a few blocks north of where the present church stands. The church bell that was hung in new church had been in the church of St. Mary Magdalene in Salt Lake City, the first Catholic Church in Utah Territory. For forty years, the bell had called the emerging Salt Lake Catholic community to worship before it moved to Tooele to help another Catholic community grow.
By 1959, the current church building began. The planned facilities would be larger and a parochial school was added. Unfortunately, the original loan only covered 40% of the work, so building stopped. In 1973, work began again on a new complex. When it was completed, the bell from the first St. Marguerite’s church building was moved to the new building.
St. Marguerites has had strong influence in the Catholic community of the county. In 1981, the church opened a pre-school. By 1994, the teaching faculty included four teachers and the school had added kindergarten classes. The church has also helped establish a Catholic church in Wendover.